Twitter Inc named Marjorie Scardino, former chief executive of publishing company Pearson, to its board on Thursday following criticism that it lacked diversity in the top ranks of the company. The addition of Scardino, who is also a former CEO of The Economist Group and a former board member of phone ...
have been banned from trading in the virtual currency Bitcoin, but it is fair game for ordinary people. Bitcoin is a hot currency right now, and its value has been shooting up. In China there is a concern that there is not much to hang serious business on, and while you can buy a ...
Hotfile has closed its doors after agreeing to hand over $80m in damages to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). On Wednesday, Hotfile agreed to an $80m settlement with the US film industry cartel front MPAA, which told the filesharing website that it could continue to operate if it implemented a filtering mechanism to prevent copyright infringement. It seems that Hotfile ...
(Credit: CBS News) Ford Motor CEO Alan Mulally has been topping lists as the most desirable candidate to take the reins from Steve Ballmer at Microsoft, but the odds are going down on the 68-year-old executive leaving the automaker. "Alan is staying through the end of 2014 and that's all I know," company board director Edsel Ford II, great-grandson of company founder Henry ...
(Credit: Josh Miller/CNET) Nexus 5 owners hoping to take snap better pictures will get some help from Android 4.1.1. Due to launch in the next few days, the ...
Winds: From the North at 4 MPH
There are probably people in the world much like John Travlotas Chili Palmer in Be Cool, but surely no one is as calm, collected, and utterly unflappable as he is. Chili is a glorious fictional character, a walking checklist of suave characteristics dressed in an impeccable black suit. Point ... ...
Singapore StarSingapore Star | National Singapore, Regional & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Singapore Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Singapore news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Singapore news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Singapore news, the weather forecast for Singapore you'll find it all in the Singapore Star.
From Johor Bahru to Singapore, the Singapore Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
(Credit: Screenshot by Sarah Mitroff/CNET) Watch out Google Drive, Android is getting another mobile productivity suite. Quip, the company building ...
(Credit: Shara Tibken/CNET) CNET today received a mysterious invite -- sent via FedEx, not e-mail -- from Instagram for an event it's hosting next week. The package, wrapped with brown paper and a white ribbon, contained a wooden block, 4 inches long and wide and 1.75 inches thick, covered with a printed Instagram shot and a slot in the back so it can be hung on the wall. The included ...
(Credit: Screenshot by Lance Whitney/CNET) Is there an Android game or app that you can't live without? You can now give it a thumbs-up though Google's Players' Choice Awards. The ...
(Credit: Screenshot by Lance Whitney/CNET) Xbox Music users now can identify their music and listen to it across different PCs and mobile devices courtesy of Gracenote. Buying ...
Twitter has named Marjorie Scardino as a director, adding a woman to the all-white male board for which it's been sharply criticized. Scardino, 66, was the CEO of Pearson PLC, a publishing and education company, from 1997 to 2012, Twitter Inc. said in a regulatory filing on Thursday. Before that, she worked at The Economist Group, publisher of The Economist and CQ Roll Call. Her roles at ...
LONDON (Reuters) - Unlicensed 3D printing of guns is illegal and punishable by up to 10 years in prison, the government said on Thursday, as it moved to address growing public concern about plastic guns.Weapons made by printing their components are already banned under the 1968 Firearms Act, but the Home Office has updated its rules to prohibit the manufacture, sale, purchase and possession of ...
Samsung's next-generation flagship smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S5, will feature a TouchID-style sensor, the CEO of Fingerprint Cards has all-but-confirmed. Swedish tech company Fingerprint Cards, which specialises in such technology, has said that it hopes to provide its technology, similar to the TouchID sensor found on ...
announced last week a new program intended to help would-be Uber drivers afford vehicles. It might just kick the startup company's growth into high gear. Uber says it wants to help 100,000 drivers -- well, "transportation entrepreneurs," as it dubs them -- in select cities purchase cars by lowering their monthly payment by about $100 per month. The company is partnering with ...
If you’re a non-contract (or wannabe) AT&T mobile customer, the company says it’s finally going to give customers a break on its mobile plans — up to $15 a month — and you can get in on the action starting this Sunday, December 8. AT&T says the new plans, umbrella’d under the rubric ';Mobile Share Value,'; will apply to both wireless consumer and ...
launched Assassin's Creed: Pirates for iOS. The game is essentially a pirate simulator, allowing gamers to engage in naval combat, build up their pirate ship, and explore the Caribbean. Gamers play as Alonzo Batilla. The Assassin's Creed franchise has proven extremely popular on consoles. The latest launch, Black Flag, is also set on the open seas and features pirates. The game is ...
Reported in the press
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Singapore Star.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
Grand Hyatt Dubai
I drove up to one of Dubai's newest luxury hotels, the Grand Hyatt Dubai, with it's towers majestically standing watch ...Keep reading
Football Federation Australia has downplayed claims that the nation is one of the countries targeted by a suspected Singaporean match fixer and called them speculative.
According to The Age, the National Crime Agency made a seventh arrest this week regarding the fixing of matches.
However, the FFA didn't believe they needed to make a formal response despite Australia's leagues being identified as open to corruption.
The FFA said in a statement that they do not comment on matters that may be the subject of investigation by law enforcement authorities and furthermore, in this instance the speculative link being drawn particularly doesn't merit a formal response.
During a secretly recorded interview with the newspaper, one of the arrested men claimed he could influence results in multiple leagues and that he could target the biggest tournament of all, the report said.
The alleged fixer further claimed to 'having' clubs in Belgium and France as well as controlling an African national side, the report added. (ANI)
Top Breaking Technology News from Yesterday
- Malaysia has the best Islamic finance module
- N. Korea ambassador recalled from Malaysia report
- Malacca to pay Johor 10 sen more per 1000 litres of raw water
- Malaysia Indonesia Play Host To Under-16 International Football Championship
- Penang refutes housing allegation
- Eight banks fined 1.7 bn euros by EU over rates rigging
- Sensex up over 400 points reclaims 21K-level as exit polls predict BJP win
- Currencies Euro advances as Draghi appears less dovish
- Best Europe Affirms Hiscox and Subs Ratings
- Beijing moves to ban Bitcoin banking
- Eight banks fined 1.7 bn euros by EU over rates rigging
- Deal Economy Yales Roach Says Fed Fighting Wrong Battle
- Dollar General Surges Kroger Falls on Earnings Reports
- This Chicago Bank Stock Has 17 Upside Says KBW
- UK Chancellor Confirms Tax Breaks for Shale Gas Developers
- PlayStation 4 gamers frustrated by PS4 pre-order failures
- Oneida adding restaurants at casino
- Mass. gambling chief steps aside on Everett ruling
- The damaging legacy of discovery learning
- Love and a legacy of early education
- Special services for FTZ firms
- US unemployment benefits claims fall for the third straight week to 298000
- Japan approves $182b package
- SKS management denies irregularities at AGM
- Telecom profit taking prompts mainland stock exchange decline
- Carlsberg buys controlling stake in China’s Chongqing Brewery
- Culinary stars share secrets at CRFA Shows Breakfast with Champions
- Export growth the key to capitalize on rising global fish and seafood demand
- NY settles complaint over child beverages ad
- Amsterdam’s bid to help homeless alcoholics A beer-for-work program
- Twitter names media veteran as first female board member
- China bans banks from trading in Bitcoins
- Hotfile shuts down after handing over $80m to the MPAA
- Fords Alan Mulally not looking likely as Microsoft CEO
- Android 4.4.1 brings better photos to Nexus 5
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Singapore Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Hamilton man to be first to bring steel pan to Singapore
- PMO site hacking Brothers to be charged in court on Friday
- UPDATE 1-Standard Chartered says private bank client statements stolen in Singapore
- Temasek Holdings has made substantial contributions to benefit Singapore
- Singapore marathon winner ran only 6 km