Russia's Energia Rocket and Space Corporation will make four launches next year from the Pacific Ocean-based Odyssey platform under the Sea Launch programme, an official said. Corporation president Vitaly Lopota said that after 2014, Energia will be able to make five or more launches a year. Next year's launches will be the first since one of Sea Launch's Zenit vehicles carrying an Intelsat-27 ...
A study of future human missions has indicated corporate researchers could be living on the moon by the time NASA astronauts head off to visit an asteroid in the 2020s. The study by Bigelow Aerospace, commissioned by NASA, shows "a lot of excitement and interest from various companies" for such ventures, Daily Mail quoted Robert Bigelow, founder and president of the Las Vegas-based firm, as ...
One fan of Leonardo DiCaprio has paid 1.5 million dollars for a trip into space with the actor, during a charity auction at the Cannes Film Festival on Thursday. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the winning bidder will get the chance to travel into space orbit on a Virgin Galactic spaceship in a seat next to DiCaprio, Us magazine reported. A portion of the proceeds from the auction will go ...
New observations by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have revealed the real shape of the Ring Nebula. The glowing gas shroud around an old, dying, Sun-like star is like a doughnut, scientists suggested. "The nebula is not like a bagel, but rather, it's like a jelly doughnut, because it's filled with material in the middle," said C. Robert O'Dell of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. ...
Ecuador's first satellite avoided a direct collision with the remains of a Russian rocket, but whether the device is still operating remains unclear, the head of the country's EXA space agency told EFE. The US-based Joint Space Operations Center, which had alerted EXA to the possible threat to Pegaso, informed the Ecuadorian agency Thursday that the Russian wreckage did not hit the satellite ...
29.6°C Mostly Cloudy
The Godfather Part III [DVD]
"The Godfather ... is the first completely authentic modern myth in American cinema ..." Jake Horsley, The Blood Poets: A Cinema of Savagery, 1958-1999 ...
A dog was caught in a vicious animal trap that consisted of a hunk of meat threaded through a series of five barbed hooks on the Baden Powell Trail in Vancouver on Thursday morning. (Facebook photo) Police in Vancouver have issued a public warning after a dog was hooked in a vicious animal trap on a hiking trail. A dog owner was walking her Labradoodle on the Baden Powell Trail around 10:30 ...
The conclusion of talks over a free trade agreement (FTA) between China and Switzerland will create a vast space for further development of bilateral ties and is also conducive to the development of China-Europe relations, visiting Chinese Premier Li keqiang said here Friday.At a joint press conference with Swiss President Ueli Maurer, Li said he and the Swiss leader reached many important ...
Play video TORONTO - It hasn’t been a great start to the summer for a young Oshawa man, having had his nose chewed off by a vicious dog while protecting his girlfriend, and then thrown out of his apartment. It was last Saturday night, while kicking back on the front porch of the rooming house he lives in at 140 Brock St., that Jimmy Rogers, a 23-year-old unemployed construction worker, ...
JOSEPH A. GARCIA/THE STAR Sierra High School science teacher Laura Todis (center) joins her students after being named the 2013 Ventura County Teacher of the ...
Reconstruction in the earthquake-affected zone in southwest China's Sichuan Province should be conducted in a scientific, orderly and efficient manner, Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli has stressed.Zhang made the comments during a conference in Beijing on Friday afternoon, after he had accompanied President Xi Jinping earlier this week to visit the province's Lushan County, which was hit by a ...
Reported in the press
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Crowne Plaza, Los Angeles International Airport
I needed a hotel overnight near LAX and decided on the Crowne Plaza, a 4 star recently-renovated business class hotel ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Singapore StarSingapore Star | National Singapore, Regional & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Singapore Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Singapore news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Singapore news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Singapore news, the weather forecast for Singapore you'll find it all in the Singapore Star.
From Johor Bahru to Singapore, the Singapore Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Singapore's external trade continued to fall in the first quarter of this year, with declines for total trade, non-oil domestic exports (NODX) and non-oil re-exports (NORX), the city-state's trade promotion agency, International Enterprise Singapore, said Thursday.
This is the third consecutive quarter of decrease for both total trade and NODX. According to the data, the NODX, a key gauge of the trade hub's export performance, contracted 12.5 percent on year in the first three months, following the previous quarter's decline of 4.2 percent, reported Xinhua.
The earlier data also showed that the NODX for April contracted by 1 percent on year.
The agency said the NODX contraction in the first quarter was mainly due to lower shipments of both electronic and non- electronic NODX. "The contraction was exacerbated by high base effects with NODX reaching a record high of 46.3 billion Singapore dollars ($36.7 billion) in Q1 2012," it added.
In particular, the electronic domestic exports decreased by 17.2 percent in the first quarter on year, following the previous quarter's 12.5 percent contraction. Non-electronic NODX declined by 10.1 percent on year, in contrast to the 0.6 percent growth in the previous quarter.
- PKR to postpone party elections
- Malaysias Vitriolic Election Shatters the Illusion of Democracy
- Malaysias May 1-25 palm oil exports down 5.2 pct - ITS
- Up close and personal with Datuk Richard Curtis
- Malaysia a favourite of Muslim travellers
- China to allow US auditors access to records of Chinese firms
- China central bank report promises financial sector reforms
- Government of by and for the banks
- Vet School Grads Get Financial Advice
- UPDATE 1-Perus Humala vows to prioritize investment after bump in road
- China central bank report promises financial sector reforms
- Gujarat Chief Minister Modi launches Ahmedabad edition of The Hindu Business Line
- HSBC could face criminal prosecution as deal on money laundering charges stalls
- Uttarakhand annual plan for 2013-14 finalized at Rs. 8500 crore
- Emergency financial manager considers selling off Detroit Institute of Arts collection
- Legacy of cruelty by Islamists should end Bangladesh educationist
- Casino bosses transform Sin City into Club City
- US failure to maintain infrastructure betrays national legacy
- Council of Churches of Western Mass. to Form Responsible Gaming Council to Help Problem Gamblers
- Chianello Exactly when did the city approve asking for two casinos
- Gold dips slightly ahead of 3-day holiday weekend
- Chinese premier slams EUs trade measures against Chinese products
- China vows to further liberalize interest rates
- Google eyes African Asian markets
- PRECIOUS-Gold dips but 2.15 pct weekly rise biggest in a month
- Deschutes Sierra Nevada win two International Awards each
- Know What Important Ruling Made This Week Affects German Beer Take The Fark Weird News Quiz
- Operation Swill New Jersey bar allegedly served rubbing alcohol as scotch
- Fish swimming in beer
- Cheers and Jeers Rum and Coke FRIDAY
- Google boss warns students against censorship of net and digital ethnic cleansing
- Haswell chip primer How Intel pinches power
- Crave Ep. 122 When the moon hits your 3D-printed pizza pie
- HTC One Google edition Its real and coming in summer
- Bidder buys $1.5 million space date with Leonardo DiCaprio
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Singapore Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- COVs at lowest level in nearly a year experts attribute slowdown to cooling measures
- Strict safety measures for River Safari exhibit leave nothing to chance
- CAAS eases rules on travellers use of electronic devices in aircraft
- Second-hand car dealers sell off most of their stock dip in supply expected
- Spike in number of chikungunya cases in Singapore