After sending Taufik Hidayat into retirement, India's B. Sai Praneeth caused another big upset by defeating second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong in the men's singles first round of the Singapore Open Super Series here Wednesday. The 20-year-old Sai, ranked 61 in the world, thrashed World No.4 Hu 21-9, 21-10 in exactly half an hour at the Singapore Indoor Stadium to level his head-to-head to ...
A smoky haze fueled by forest fires in Indonesia continues to reach hazardous new levels in neighboring Singapore and is threatening to further irritate ties between the two countries. Singapore officials urged people to stay indoors Thursday, as a shroud of smog hanging over the city-state sent an air pollution index soaring to an all-time high of 371, shattering a record set the previous ...
Police on Thursday issued a stern warning to The Straits Times (ST) editor Warren Fernandex and Singapore Press Holdings, over a January report on the Punggol East by-election that was published in the newspaper. -- ST FILE PHOTO: ALPHONSUS ...
HDB flats in Toa Payoh shrouded in haze at 9.10pm on Wednesday, June 19, 2013. Singapore's air is now "hazardous" as the Pollutant Standards Index soared to 321 at 10pm, the worst reading in its history. -- ST PHOTO: NEO ...
Singapore , air traffic controllers gave more time for aircraft between taking off and landing at Changi Airport, a major aviation hub, because of poor ...
Winds: From the West at 8 MPH
There is a sequence that opens the second hour of Ran that is among the most breathtaking of cinematic achievements in Akira Kurosawas long and remarkable career. It takes place as two sons lay siege to a castle inhabited by their father, an aging warlord who has turned over his kingdom only to s ... ...
JAKARTA (AFP) - Indonesia on Thursday accused Singapore of acting "like a child" over acrid smog from forest fires in Sumatra that has triggered the city-state's worst environmental crisis in more than a decade, as the two nations held talks.The escalation in tensions between tiny Singapore and its vast neighbour came as the levels of haze enveloping the island hit a new record ...
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced on Thursday, June 20, 2013, there will be a Haze Inter-Ministerial Committee, led by Minister Ng Eng Hen (above), to tackle the haze problem. -- ST FILE PHOTO: LAU FOOK ...
People walk between Lucky Plaza and The Paragon on Nov 19, 2012. Singapore has refuted a United States report on human rights practices here again, saying it "includes the same gross inaccuracies and misrepresentations" the Government's laws and policies that it had rebutted in previous years. -- ST FILE PHOTO: MARK ...
The Government will provide monetary assistance to Singaporeans who need help with their medical expenses should they fall ill from the haze, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced on Thursday. -- PHOTO: ...
Men watch the sun set in the hazy skyline of the Singapore Flyer on June 18, 2013. The Singapore Flyer has suspended operations temporarily because of the haze, its appointed recovery firm Ferrier Hodgson said in a statement on Thursday, June 20, 2013. -- FILE PHOTO: ...
Reported in the press
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers
I could not find the Web site for this hotel, and it was not listed on any of the Internet ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Singapore StarSingapore Star | National Singapore, Regional & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Singapore Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Singapore news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Singapore news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Singapore news, the weather forecast for Singapore you'll find it all in the Singapore Star.
From Johor Bahru to Singapore, the Singapore Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
After sending Taufik Hidayat into retirement, India's B. Sai Praneeth caused another big upset by defeating second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong in the men's singles first round of the Singapore Open Super Series here Wednesday.
The 20-year-old Sai, ranked 61 in the world, thrashed World No.4 Hu 21-9, 21-10 in exactly half an hour at the Singapore Indoor Stadium to level his head-to-head to 1-all.
Women's singles second seed Saina Nehwal also advanced to the second round by beating localite Juan Gu 21-14, 23-21 in 40 minutes. This was the fifth time the Hyderabadi beat Juan out of six meetings. The World No.2 will next face Japanese Eriko Hirose in the second round.
In the mixed doubles, Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan beat Thai pair Songphon Anugritayawon and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul 21-17, 19-21, 21-12 in 45 minutes. Thugh Aparna won in mixed, it was disappointment for her in women's doubles losing, with partner N. Siki Reddy, to Malaysia's Meng Yean Lee and Yin Loo Lim 21-18, 18-21, 6-21 in 49 minutes.
Ace shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa with Pradnya Gadre was also beaten in women's doubles by Indonesia's Nitya Krishinda Maheswari and Greysia Polii 18-21, 23-21, 16-21 in 53 minutes.
Ashwini also her lost mixed doubles match partnership Tarun Kona. ...
- MCA Sabah Liaison chief appointed new chairman of Matang
- Malaysias PC sales hit 898000 units with Lenovo as top vendor
- Spot gold falls to lowest since January 2011
- Website says Kuala Lumpur is worlds sixth most dangerous city readers disagree
- Pollution hits new high in Singapore Malaysia shuts 200 schools amid haze from Indonesia fires
- Settlement monitor faults four largest US mortgage servicers for lapses
- Spain urged to pursue further reforms to generate growth and jobs
- Puerto Rico hopes to net $100 mn from tax amnesty
- Rescue chopper crashes in Nepal one killed
- NSA surveillance revealed abandoned al-Qaedas NY stock exchange bombing plot
- Chinas manufacturing activity at nine-month low HSBC
- Puerto Rico hopes to net $100 mn from tax amnesty
- Mexican police nab one of FBIs 10 most wanted
- Urologist cleared over mans 8-month erection post-surgery
- Video Bank of Canada governor says economic confidence will grow
- Microsoft alters key components of Xbox One sharing policies
- Tourism Protests Keep New Luxor Governor Away in Egypt
- Counting Crows frontman on live albums cover songs and crazy concerts at Mandalay Bay Beach
- NBA Finals Game 7 certain to define legacy for Heat Spurs
- Gambling addict stole $200k from kinder
- China stocks tumble as manufacturing activity falls to nine-month low
- Asian markets get hammered
- Hang Seng Shanghai take a hit
- Nikkei skids as weak China data Fed exit plans chill sentiment
- RPT-WRAPUP 1-Asian markets hammered on China fears Fed exit plan
- Cadbury builds picnic table from chocolate
- A map for American Craft Beer Week
- Oklahoma brewers ask for support on sampling law
- Can this Aussie out-sexy Diet Coke guy
- Roundup U.S. Steel seeks delay in standards for coke oven emissions Porsche tops in annual survey of vehicle quality more
- Microsoft drops widely hated Xbox One features
- HTML5 based Magnolia 5.0 arrives to replace the grey CMS
- France threatens Google with privacy fines says other European countries to follow
- Software guru John McAfee outdoes Charlie Sheen in sweary new video rant with semi-naked models
- Living in a smart world
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Singapore Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Shuttler Sai Praneeth upsets second seed in Singapore
- Singapore Haze Soars to Hazardous Levels
- Police issues stern warning to SPH and ST editor for Punggol East report
- Haze in Singapore hits new high PSI at 321 at 10pm
- Singapore blames Indonesian fires over ‘hazardous’ air