BEIJING - Chinese regulators Friday announced that they have signed a memorandum of understanding with their US counterparts giving American authorities increased access to documents from Chinese audit firms. The signing of the MOU between China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), the Ministry of Finance (MOF) and the US Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) is a significant ...
BEIJING - China is planning to steadily push forward market-oriented reform in its interest rates and exchange rates mechanisms this year as part of the financial sector reforms to better serve the real economy, a central bank report said on Friday. The "China Financial Stability Report (2013) released by the People's Bank of China stressed that it would be steadily promoting the interest ...
Workers lay solar panels on a roof at Nanjing South Railway Station. China is giving attention to reducing energy consumption in industrial production. Dong Jinlin / for China DailyThe Chinese government will double its investment in the circular economy this year to 2 billion yuan ($300 million) to support the national policies of energy conservation and emission reduction, a senior official ...
China will continue to facilitate foreign investment and enhance the protection of intellectual property rights in efforts to improve the investment environment, a senior official said Wednesday. "Improving investment environment and protecting the legal rights of foreign investors are not only the government's promises but also what the government is doing," Yu Jianhua, assistant ...
China's investment in Australia does not match her status as the nation's largest trade partner, said Duan Jielong, China's Consul-General in Sydney on Tuesday. In a speech to Australia China Business Council (ACBC), Duan said as more and more Chinese companies come to Australia to invest, there seems to be some concerns about Chinese investment being too much and growing too ...
29.6°C Mostly Cloudy
The Godfather Part III [DVD]
"The Godfather ... is the first completely authentic modern myth in American cinema ..." Jake Horsley, The Blood Poets: A Cinema of Savagery, 1958-1999 ...
Small enterprises that have been facing capital shortages might get relief soon, if State-owned banks ease lending policies for such businesses, Hu Xiaoming, vice-president at Alibaba Group, said. Hu made the remarks on Wednesday in Beijing as Alibaba (China) Co Ltd and the National School of Development at Peking University jointly issued a report on small firms' management and financial ...
MANILA, Philippines - James Forrester scored 21 points as quarterfinals-bound Arellano University beat Jose Rizal University, 83-67, to remain unbeaten against fellow NCAA teams Saturday in the FilOil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at the Arena in San Juan. Forrester went 10-of-11 at the free throw line and also collected five rebounds and two assists for the Chiefs, who edged NCAA champion San ...
Five years since the 2008 financial meltdown, the speculation and fraud that caused the crash are back in full force in the United States. Flush with the $85 billion in cash printed up and handed to the banks every month by the Federal Reserve, business at the Wall Street casino is booming. Stock values are at record levels and so are bank profits, amidst declining wages and mass poverty.Under ...
Personal finance guru Suze Orman will give advice on debt and money management during a commencement speech today. Orman, who lives in Boca Raton, also has a personal reason for speaking: Her niece is one of the 87 students graduating from the college. Orman told The Associated Press that she plans to talk about student loan debt during her speech — and to advise the graduates to take the ...
Fri May 24, 2013 10:39pm EDT By Marco Aquino LIMA May 24 (Reuters) - Peruvian President Ollanta Humala said on Friday he will prioritize investments and speed up infrastructure projects after the economy hit a "bump in the road" with unexpectedly slow growth in the first quarter. Peru's economy slowed to expand 4.8 percent in the first three months of this year compared to the same ...
Reported in the press
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Crowne Plaza, Los Angeles International Airport
I needed a hotel overnight near LAX and decided on the Crowne Plaza, a 4 star recently-renovated business class hotel ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Singapore StarSingapore Star | National Singapore, Regional & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Singapore Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Singapore news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Singapore news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Singapore news, the weather forecast for Singapore you'll find it all in the Singapore Star.
From Johor Bahru to Singapore, the Singapore Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Singapore's external trade continued to fall in the first quarter of this year, with declines for total trade, non-oil domestic exports (NODX) and non-oil re-exports (NORX), the city-state's trade promotion agency, International Enterprise Singapore, said Thursday.
This is the third consecutive quarter of decrease for both total trade and NODX. According to the data, the NODX, a key gauge of the trade hub's export performance, contracted 12.5 percent on year in the first three months, following the previous quarter's decline of 4.2 percent, reported Xinhua.
The earlier data also showed that the NODX for April contracted by 1 percent on year.
The agency said the NODX contraction in the first quarter was mainly due to lower shipments of both electronic and non- electronic NODX. "The contraction was exacerbated by high base effects with NODX reaching a record high of 46.3 billion Singapore dollars ($36.7 billion) in Q1 2012," it added.
In particular, the electronic domestic exports decreased by 17.2 percent in the first quarter on year, following the previous quarter's 12.5 percent contraction. Non-electronic NODX declined by 10.1 percent on year, in contrast to the 0.6 percent growth in the previous quarter.
- Wall Street posts first weekly loss since mid-April on Fed angst
- Pakatan leaders mixed on single-party Barisan
- PAS mulling action against members who caused three-way fights
- Blackmail victim reaches end of tether
- PKR to postpone party elections
- China to allow US auditors access to records of Chinese firms
- China central bank report promises financial sector reforms
- Circular economy investment up
- China to continue improvement of investment environment official
- Chinas investment does not match status as Australias top trade partner
- China central bank report promises financial sector reforms
- Gujarat Chief Minister Modi launches Ahmedabad edition of The Hindu Business Line
- HSBC could face criminal prosecution as deal on money laundering charges stalls
- Offshore financial assets expand 7 to $4.4 trillion
- Small firms set for relief from finance crunch
- Legacy of cruelty by Islamists should end Bangladesh educationist
- Casino bosses transform Sin City into Club City
- US failure to maintain infrastructure betrays national legacy
- Council of Churches of Western Mass. to Form Responsible Gaming Council to Help Problem Gamblers
- Chianello Exactly when did the city approve asking for two casinos
- Gold dips slightly ahead of 3-day holiday weekend
- Chinese premier slams EUs trade measures against Chinese products
- China vows to further liberalize interest rates
- Google eyes African Asian markets
- PRECIOUS-Gold dips but 2.15 pct weekly rise biggest in a month
- Deschutes Sierra Nevada win two International Awards each
- Know What Important Ruling Made This Week Affects German Beer Take The Fark Weird News Quiz
- Operation Swill New Jersey bar allegedly served rubbing alcohol as scotch
- Fish swimming in beer
- Cheers and Jeers Rum and Coke FRIDAY
- Infosys Gujarat needs to retain talent for IT sectors growth
- Indian to head SAPs RD division
- 3G case Centre seeks contempt case against Idea
- Infosys gives about 10 increment
- Haswell chip primer How Intel pinches power
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Singapore Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- COVs at lowest level in nearly a year experts attribute slowdown to cooling measures
- Strict safety measures for River Safari exhibit leave nothing to chance
- CAAS eases rules on travellers use of electronic devices in aircraft
- Second-hand car dealers sell off most of their stock dip in supply expected
- Spike in number of chikungunya cases in Singapore