"Today, seven years after the real estate bubble burst, triggering the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression and costing millions of responsible Americans their jobs and their homes, our housing market is healing. Sales are up. Foreclosures are down. Construction is expanding. And thanks to rising home prices over the past year, 1.7 million more families have been able to come up ...
Chairman of the Federal Reserve Ben Bernanke says fields including healt care and clean energy hold many opportunities for profitable ...
Finance Minister Bill English says the Budget 2013 will help the most vulnerable people in society "who the Government has served very poorly in the past". Mr English said the Budget revealed on Thursday, which focused on housing affordability and a return to surplus, would be an important step in the efforts to close the gap between rich and poor. The Deputy Prime Minister told ...
"Obviously, cash is king," said personal finance blogger Joseph Audette, a personal finance writer/blogger for NerdWallet. But students, especially high school graduates juggling their own finances for the first time, can quickly blow through a lot of cash, he notes. Instead?"Get a gift card from the university's student bookstore. It's a little more thought than writing ...
"During your working lives, you will have to reinvent yourselves many times," Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told new graduates at Bard College at Simon's Rock on ...
29°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the ENE at 5 MPH
XXX is the kind of movie where, when a character needs to destroy a communications tower in order to disrupt a surveillance system, he doesn't simply blow it up or something so middle-of-the-road and typical as that. Instead, he parachutes in on a snow board and lands on a mountain top hundreds of feet above it, sets off bombs to create a massive avalanche, and then snowboards down the mou ... ...
MOSCOW, May 18 (Itar-Tass) - The entry into force of the agreement on the settlement of Cuba’s debt will boost its financial and investment rating, Federation Council Chairperson Valentina Matviyenko said upon arrival in Moscow on Saturday, May 18, after a visit to ...
An EU crackdown on bankers' bonuses in the City of London will just lead to a surge in basic salaries and other initiatives to circumvent regulations, experts warned on Saturday.Banks, still unpopular for their leading role in the financial crisis, are keeping their avoidance plans under wraps, but industry figures were happy to boast privately that they could run rings round ...
WASHINGTON, May 18 (Reuters) - U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke painted an upbeat picture on Saturday for the potential of innovation to lift living standards, delivering a sweeping look at the last 100 years that included memories of his 1963 South Carolina ...
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke speaks to guests at a banking conference hosted by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago on May 10, 2013 in Chicago, ...
OTTAWA -- A federal agency that ensures banks and other financial institutions follow the rules has itself broken the rules on hospitality spending.The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada spent well in excess of the maximum allowed for a gala dinner in Toronto last November.The agency bought a table for 10 people during credit education week, paying $155 a person --above the $108.42 maximum set ...
Reported in the press
He is the most evil, vile, demonic criminal. He is dead to me. There will be no visits, there will be no phone calls. He can never be Daddy again. I have no sympathy for the man.
Gregg was speaking about her father Ariel Castro who allegedly kidnapped, raped and held captive for a decade, three young women in Cleveland, Ohio.
Mantra on Jolimont, East Melbourne, Australia
Right from our arrival the Mantra on Jolimont had an air of friendliness, and a sense that the property was ...Keep reading
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who is 84, is being retried in Cairo. Do you believe this is a good thing?
Singapore StarSingapore Star | National Singapore, Regional & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Singapore Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Singapore news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Singapore news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Singapore news, the weather forecast for Singapore you'll find it all in the Singapore Star.
From Johor Bahru to Singapore, the Singapore Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
A Singapore court Friday sentenced a 45-year-old Indian-origin man to two years in jail for molesting a 13-year-old boy.
S. Subramaniam, a real estate agent, was found guilty of molesting the student at the former's flat at the Yishun area here Dec 23, 2011, the Straits Times reported.
The court heard that Subramaniam invited the boy and his 14-year-old cousin and committed the act.
The boy said that he tried to move away but failed to do so.
Deputy public prosecutor Norman Yew had sought a 24-month jail term for the convict as he was recalcitrant and showed no remorse for the crime.
- Malayasian Chinese leader asked to apologise to Indians
- Government to maintain food subsidies
- All eyes on Najib’s new Cabinet
- Hundreds train attention on spreading awareness on AIDS
- Hills in Cameron Highlands ‘raped’ at an alarming rate
- Share of developing nations in investments set to triple by 2030
- India-EU BTIA conclude another round of negotiations
- Cyprus further relaxes restrictions on banks
- Delayed PIB passage frustrates N17.2tn investment — IOCs
- British Study Raises Warning on Scottish Banks
- Binge eating and gambling classified as mental disorders in new book
- How IRS controversy could shape Obamas legacy
- Playing Russian Roulette With a Volcano
- Online gambling in Deadwood
- Vilma Santos Being first woman mayor governor is legacy enough
- Gold sinks for 7th consecutive session
- UPDATE 2-Venezuela 2012 oil and fuel exports rise crude output slips
- New Report on Chinese Markets for High-Density Polyethylene
- Australian dollar drops below parity with US dollar mainly due to US positive gains
- Asian Markets Weekly Update Broad Gains in Asia While Nikkei Breaches 15000 Mark
- The Winklevoss twins are Bitcoin bulls
- Android has become a hedge against Microsoft and Windows
- New MacBook Air imminent
- Teen dies trying to hold onto iPad during theft police say
- Google Glass and the mens room urinals
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Singapore Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- More new immigrants to serve as grassroots leaders in Singapore
- Help for 2000 former drug offenders
- Odd-shaped house for sale below valuation
- Give Malaysians arrested in Spore a second chance
- Some tall trees being replaced to reduce risks