In three weeks time, Dejehan Hamilton will introduce an instrument to a part of the world where its never yet been performed. The 20-year-old musician from Hamilton's north-end will be the first to perform the steel pan in Singapore. Ever. "It's overwhelming to think I'll be performing for the first time," he said. "It's a historic ...
Two Singaporeans, aged 21 and 27, are expected to be charged in court on Friday, Dec 6, 2013, for offences under the Computer Misuse and Cybersecurity Act. -- TNP FILE PHOTO: ARIFFIN ...
By Rachel Armstrong and Lee Chyen YeeSINGAPORE Dec 5 (Reuters) - Bank statements for almost 650 of Standard Chartered Plc's private banking clients have been found on the laptop of an alleged website hacker in Singapore, the police and the British lender said on Thursday.Standard Chartered said the February 2013 monthly statements for 647 of its clients were stolen, taken from the server ...
Investment company Temasek Holdings has made substantial contributions to benefit Singapore and Singaporeans, by helping to boost the government's budget revenue to fund social programmes, said its chairman Lim Boon ...
Singapore (AFP) - A pastry chef who stunned Singapore marathon organisers by being the first local runner across the finish line admitted he cheated -- and has been doing so for years, a report said Thursday.Father-of-one Tam Chua Puh, 43, caused consternation when he finished Sunday's race several minutes ahead of Singapore's finest distance athletes in a time of 2hr 46min.However, ...
26°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the North at 5 MPH
Steven Soderbergh's Full Frontal sounded interesting on paper. Having burst onto the Hollywood scene with the Sundance favorite sex, lies, and videotape back in 1989, which became the model independent film for aspiring filmmakers throughout the 1990s, Soderbergh has attempted to go back to those indie filmmaking roots. Full Frontal is an intimate, multi-character story shot ... ...
Singapore StarSingapore Star | National Singapore, Regional & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Singapore Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Singapore news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Singapore news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Singapore news, the weather forecast for Singapore you'll find it all in the Singapore Star.
From Johor Bahru to Singapore, the Singapore Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
More than 2,300 motorists were arrested for drink driving in the first nine months of the year - a nine per cent increase over the same period a year ago. There were also 88 drink-driving accidents resulting in 16 deaths in the same period. -- ST FILE PHOTO: MUGILAN ...
The hearing to determine whether an article written by blogger Alex Au (above) is in contempt of court will be open to the public and he will have every opportunity to rebut the charge against him, said the Attorney General's Chambers in a statement on Thursday, Dec 5, 2013. -- ST FILE PHOTO: FRANCIS ...
Santha Devi Lingam got the fake donation books for her charity scam printed in Malaysia so no one would spill the beans to the authorities here. -- ST ...
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong gives his opening address at the opening ceremony of Sembmarine's integrated yard at Tuas Boulevard on Nov 6, 2013. The People's Action Party will adopt a major resolution statement that will chart its broad direction going forward at a party convention on Sunday. -- ST FILE PHOTO: MARK ...
Singapore will put up a performance at the closing ceremony of the 27th SEA games in Myanmar. A preview was held on Thursday for the act that symbolises the start of a new journey towards the 2015 SEA games, which Singapore will ...
SINGAPORE -- A pastry chef who stunned Singapore marathon organizers by being the first local runner across the finish line admitted he cheated — and has been doing so for years, a report said Thursday. Father-of-one Tam Chua Puh, 43, caused consternation when he finished Sunday’s race several minutes ahead of Singapore’s finest distance athletes in a time of 2hr 46min. ...
(25 mins ago) A pastry chef who stunned Singapore marathon organizers by being the first local runner across the finish line admitted he cheated – and has been doing so for years, a report said. Father-of-one Tam Chua Puh, 43, caused consternation when he finished Sunday's race several minutes ahead of Singapore's finest distance athletes in a time of 2 hours 46 minutes. ...
Hutchison Port Holdings Trust dipped as much as 4.5 percent to its lowest in nearly two years as a strong technical level was broken, leading losses on the Singapore benchmark index.HPH Trust fell to as low as $0.64, a level unseen since January 2012, after breaking below $0.675 in the previous session, which had been a key technical support since mid-November.Analysts said that the break of ...
A teacher was charged in court on Thursday with three counts of molesting a 16-year-old student in a school. The 50-year-old allegedly rubbed the back of the student on the left shoulder and waist area from outside her school uniform top at the school premises in the eastern part of Singapore on July 26 this year. He indicated that he wished to engage a lawyer and he was given until Dec 12 to ...
Members of the public can get a sneak preview of stage one of the Downtown Line (DTL) during an open house on Saturday from 10am to 6pm. The 4.3km-long DTL1 will open on Dec 22 with six stations - Chinatown, Telok Ayer, Downtown, Bayfront, Promenade and Bugis. During the open house, visitors can take unlimited free rides along the line to view artworks at each station, and enjoy other ...
Reported in the press
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Singapore Star.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort
Only 20 miles from Kono International Airport on the Big Island of Hawaii. Access is easy, just turn left at ...Keep reading
Football Federation Australia has downplayed claims that the nation is one of the countries targeted by a suspected Singaporean match fixer and called them speculative.
According to The Age, the National Crime Agency made a seventh arrest this week regarding the fixing of matches.
However, the FFA didn't believe they needed to make a formal response despite Australia's leagues being identified as open to corruption.
The FFA said in a statement that they do not comment on matters that may be the subject of investigation by law enforcement authorities and furthermore, in this instance the speculative link being drawn particularly doesn't merit a formal response.
During a secretly recorded interview with the newspaper, one of the arrested men claimed he could influence results in multiple leagues and that he could target the biggest tournament of all, the report said.
The alleged fixer further claimed to 'having' clubs in Belgium and France as well as controlling an African national side, the report added. (ANI)
Top Singapore Star news from Yesterday
- N. Korea ambassador recalled from Malaysia report
- Malacca to pay Johor 10 sen more per 1000 litres of raw water
- Malaysia Indonesia Play Host To Under-16 International Football Championship
- Penang refutes housing allegation
- Najib Unusual rainfall in Kuantan too much for flood mitigation systems to handle
- Eight banks fined 1.7 bn euros by EU over rates rigging
- Sensex up over 400 points reclaims 21K-level as exit polls predict BJP win
- On Site Low-rise Nest banks on a community with broad appeal
- Banks Come Under Fire For Filling In The Payday Loan Gap
- Market Snapshot U.S. stocks slip on pace for 5th straight down day
- Eight banks fined 1.7 bn euros by EU over rates rigging
- Deal Economy Yales Roach Says Fed Fighting Wrong Battle
- Dollar General Surges Kroger Falls on Earnings Reports
- This Chicago Bank Stock Has 17 Upside Says KBW
- UK Chancellor Confirms Tax Breaks for Shale Gas Developers
- PlayStation 4 gamers frustrated by PS4 pre-order failures
- Oneida adding restaurants at casino
- Mass. gambling chief steps aside on Everett ruling
- The damaging legacy of discovery learning
- Love and a legacy of early education
- Telecom profit taking prompts mainland stock exchange decline
- Oil prices mixed amid Middle East oversupply concerns
- Reforms will have positive impact on markets insider
- Local vote to test Venezuelan presidents strength
- Chinese stocks retreat on 4G news
- Carlsberg buys stake in Chinas Chongqing Brewery
- Ron Burgundy Scotchy Scotch Scotch Is Finally Here
- Tampa bars may be forced to close at midnight
- California mini-mart loses liquor license for illegal grow operation behind beer coolerYuba City mini-mart loses liquor license for growing pot behind beer cooler.
- Bells Brewery to unveil artwork made from elm
- Samsung Galaxy S5 will mimic Apples iPhone 5S with fingerprint sensor
- Twitter adds first female board member
- The one move that might put Uber in the fast lane
- Non-Contract ATT Customers You’re About to Get a Break
- Assassins Creed Pirates sets sail in Apples App Store
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Singapore Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Hamilton man to be first to bring steel pan to Singapore
- PMO site hacking Brothers to be charged in court on Friday
- UPDATE 1-Standard Chartered says private bank client statements stolen in Singapore
- Temasek Holdings has made substantial contributions to benefit Singapore
- Singapore marathon winner ran only 6 km