Russia, South Korea and Singapore signed a cooperation deal on developing nanotechnology Thursday.A memorandum of understanding signed Thursday on the sidelines of the 2011 St. Petersburg International Economic Forum broadens investment in the Asia Nanotechnology Fund, which was set up last September by the Russian Corporation of Nanotechnology (RUSNANO), the Singaporean Economic Development ...
Singapore (AFP) - A Singapore court on Wednesday denied bail to a man charged with hacking the district website of the Prime Minister, using the symbol of international hacker group Anonymous.Singaporean James Raj was extradited from Malaysia and charged on November 12 with hacking the Ang Mo Kio district website, whose MPs include Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, and posting the image of a Guy ...
Singapore-based August Media Holdings co-produced the series, targeted at pre-schoolers, with Norway's Kool Produktion AS. Norwegian broadcaster NRK ordered another 52 episodes of the program earlier this year. "After its huge success in the Scandinavian countries, we’re excited ...
Gabonese authorities have managed to secure investments worth a total of US$ 1.7 billion from Singapore, including a new fertilizer plant to be set up outside Port Gentil and palm oil ...
A 35-year-old male suspect has been arrested in connection with the brazen armed robbery of a woman in her car in Geylang Bahru on Sunday afternoon. In a statement on Wednesday night, police said the suspect was performing general contractual work in a building at Scotts Road when he was arrested by a team of officers at about 3.25pm yesterday. He was found with the victim's ATM cards and ...
Winds: From the NNW at 2 MPH
I Am Sam
"I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is," declared the titular simpleton of Forrest Gump (1994), and director/cowriter Jessie Nelson seems to have taken that line and decided to make an entire movie about it in I Am Sam, which tells the story of a mentally handicapped man fighting for his right to be a parent. The state of California has declared that, because he has the ... ...
Singapore StarSingapore Star | National Singapore, Regional & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Singapore Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Singapore news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Singapore news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Singapore news, the weather forecast for Singapore you'll find it all in the Singapore Star.
From Johor Bahru to Singapore, the Singapore Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
A 24-year-old university student who was fined $1,000 last month and disqualified from driving for 11 months for speeding appealed his suspension, which caused the judge to wish he had imposed a harsher sentence. Roy Tang Tien Foo, a mechanical engineering student from Nanyang Technological University, was caught streaking down the Kranji Expressway at 170kmh in August 2011. The speed limit is ...
It reads like a modern day fairytale: a foreign construction worker turned boss has won a top entrepreneurship prize.The chairman of Sunhuan Construction, Mr Sun Lai Fong,58, was named the overall winner in the 2013 Entrepreneur of the Year Award on Wednesday night.He won the award co-organised by the Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (Asme) and the Rotary Club of Singapore.Such ...
Law, diplomacy, environment, arts and culture - these were the buzzwords at a dialogue session that members of the National University of Singapore Society (NUSS) had with Professor Tommy Koh, Ambassador-at-large at Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), on Wednesday evening. More than 200 participants who attended the event sought Prof Koh's opinion on a range of topics from ...
Eleven suspects were nabbed for drug-related offences in a 12-hour joint enforcement operation which began on Tuesday morning, Dec 3, 2013. -- PHOTO: SINGAPORE POLICE ...
Doctors in Singapore are advising the public not to be alarmed following news that Hong Kong confirmed its first human case of the deadly H7N9 bird flu this week. That is because the virus is not easy to transmit from human to ...
Leandra Ramm, the American singer who was harassed by Singaporean Colin Mak Ye Loong for six years, had made public her ordeal several times. -- PHOTO: FACEBOOK PAGE OF LEANDRA ...
StarHub will offer Voice over Long Term Evolution(VoLTE) services next year promising clearer calls for its 4G users. -- FILE PHOTO: ...
A reader reading the new bilingual MyPaper at Raffles Place MRT. Keep an eye out for the new-look MyPaper on Thursday, Dec 5, 2013. Readers of Singapore's first and only bilingual newspaper can look forward to several changes. -- MYPAPER FILE PHOTO: CAROLINE ...
Less than two months after starting work with a manufacturing firm here, Chinese national Mr Lu Bobo's legs were crushed under a 1.6 tonne beam that fell on him as he tried to operate a warehouse crane. The 21-year-old eventually had his right leg amputated above the knee and a prosthetic leg fitted. He now has difficulty walking. On Wednesday, two companies agreed to bear 90 per cent of ...
The film Ilo Ilo is on track to break even and might even garner a small profit, said film-maker Anthony Chen. The drama made for a relatively modest S$700,000 had done especially well in France, where it has ranked among the most commercially successful of recent Asian imports. In Singapore, it has just crossed the one million Singapore dollar mark in the box office, making it the ...
Reported in the press
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Singapore Star.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort
Only 20 miles from Kono International Airport on the Big Island of Hawaii. Access is easy, just turn left at ...Keep reading
Football Federation Australia has downplayed claims that the nation is one of the countries targeted by a suspected Singaporean match fixer and called them speculative.
According to The Age, the National Crime Agency made a seventh arrest this week regarding the fixing of matches.
However, the FFA didn't believe they needed to make a formal response despite Australia's leagues being identified as open to corruption.
The FFA said in a statement that they do not comment on matters that may be the subject of investigation by law enforcement authorities and furthermore, in this instance the speculative link being drawn particularly doesn't merit a formal response.
During a secretly recorded interview with the newspaper, one of the arrested men claimed he could influence results in multiple leagues and that he could target the biggest tournament of all, the report said.
The alleged fixer further claimed to 'having' clubs in Belgium and France as well as controlling an African national side, the report added. (ANI)
Top Singapore Star news from Yesterday
- Floods worsen with no quick reprieve in sight due to high tide and rough seas
- Army sends troops for relief work in flood-hit areas
- News of floods sparks anxiety among Johor villagers
- Authorities in Camerons on standby for landslides
- IGP Dam water release will be announced beforehand
- Eight banks fined 1.7 bn euros by EU over rates rigging
- Users limiting online banking apps use over security fears Survey
- EGoM approves merger acquisition guidelines for telecom sector
- Local content law drives $5bn investment into Nigeria
- 3 banks failed to meet some relief tests monitor
- EA Halts DICE Projects Pending Battlefield 4 Fixes
- DICE Is Dedicated To Fixing Battlefield 4 Won’t Work On DLC Until It Does
- Sale of riverfront casino in Davenport moves ahead
- NEWave Again Expands Relationship With Station Casinos Adding Check Prove Software at All Nevada Locations
- Panel studying Del. gambling industry meets
- Nikkei And Yen Pair Trade Still Has Legs In 2014
- PRECIOUS-Gold rallies suddenly as short covering offsets Fed worries
- Chinas yuan hits record high of 6.4470 against USD Tuesday
- China stocks plunge on US debt train crash
- Six themes that will impact Asian markets in 2014
- German Brewers Association asks UN to protect countrys beer purity lawGerman Brewers Association asks UNESCO agency to protect the countrys beer purity law and with it a national treasure.
- Best company ever Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets provide quality beer
- Alltech honors Stewart Owens
- Annie Johnson wins Homebrewer of the Year
- Samuel Adams Brewlywed Ale One day one place
- Instagram business head Emily White to join Snapchat as COO
- Yahoo acquires mobile-video app Ptch
- Carl Icahn ups ante in crusade for Apple buyback
- Commodities tomorrow Gold jumps $25
- Kentucky police chief to be paid in Bitcoin
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Singapore Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Russia S.Korea Singapore sign nanotechnology cooperation deal
- Singaporean Anonymous hacker denied bail
- Al Jazeera Picks Up Singaporean-Norwegian Childrens Series at ATF
- Gabon nets US$1.7bn Singaporean investments
- Suspect arrested in Geylang Bahru armed robbery case